Monday, August 11, 2008

Here is some more insight on Matthew 7:1-6 . . .

In Zondervan's backgrounds commentary, Michael Wilkins related Matthew 7:1 to an apocryphal text: "Before judgement comes, examine yourself, and at the time of scrutiny you will find forgiveness" (Sirach 18:20). So, we are supposed to judge our brothers and sisters, but only after we have examined and judged ourselves. In 7:5, Jesus clearly tells his followers that if they have taken the time and consideration to remove the log from their own eyes, then they "will see clearly to take the speck out of" their brother's eye.

Being that only God and the individual truly knows the depth of the individual's depravity, it seems to follow that when a person is dealing with their own sin, they are dealing with a log . . . when they are dealing with the sins of a brother or sister in Christ, they are dealing with a speck . . . and Jesus was using hyperbole steeped in his own context of being a carpenter to show the extreme of passing judgment on another while refusing to acknowledge one’s own depravity (Wilkins was again helpful here).

Darrin Patrick, senior elder (or pastor) at The Journey in St. Louis, MO, believes that verse 6 was meant to clarify any attempt to remove the speck from a brother or sister's eye. This verse has long been one that troubles people because it appears that Jesus is calling people "dogs" and "pigs." However, Jesus, as he did in the previous three verses, is using hyperbole. In Jewish culture, dogs and pigs were considered ritually unclean and even dangerous animals. "Dog" was often used as an insult for those separate from Israel or enemies of Israel (see Wilkins for further information--my interpretation diverges from his at this point).

I believe Jesus to be telling people that righteous judgment of a brother or sister in Christ can only happen within the context of deep relationship. In other words, in order to judge a brother or sister in Christ, you must actually know them like a brother or sister . . . and you must be known by them, sins and all. I believe Jesus is telling people that the judging of another is meant to be a holy act of Christian brotherhood/sisterhood. It is a pearl that only exists within the context of true, deep relationship within the body of Christ. Why would you waste this on someone to whom you have no real knowledge and no real relationship?

Does that make sense?

2 comments:

The White Latina said...

now...i need to go unwrap what you just said with scripture! but i probably would agree knowing that motive determines everything we do and you can't say anything about someone's motive until you know them really! best guess...

LauraLu said...

You struck me in the following statement:

In order to judge a brother or sister in Christ, ... you must be known by them, sins and all.

Powerful. There are only a few people in my life by whom I choose to be truly known. (Granted, I will be known by many even when I don't choose.) I choose these people carefully. That process of choice can be a character flaw if I only choose a certain type of person who truly knows me.

Thanks for looking at the NT. I was beginning to feel & worry that I was rather un-Christian because, in my day-to-day life, I was functionally not using the NT--just the OT. The Trinity didn't change how I lived ethically ... I was actually praying--and occasionally despairing--about this before I left for Israel. So thanks for bringing me back to the NT. Another recent influence in helping me to function as a Christian: the movie on Rwanda's refugees "As we forgive." Anywho. Thanks!