Sunday, September 23, 2007

I Know Nothing Apart From God

Sometimes in our pride and puffed-up knowledge, we may attempt to "penetrate the divine wisdom of God." (Calvin said this somewhere in his Institutes of the Christian Religion). This blog is one where I desire to express myself and what God is doing in my heart and mind. I never want to say that I have any type of final word on any issue. There are times when I become so confused that the only thing I can hold onto is the fact (and I mean fact) that God loves me and I love Him. Sometimes there is nothing else, but this.

The Apostle Paul wrote this to the Ephesians:

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints (vs 17-18).

Knowledge only comes from God. I know nothing apart from God. Without faith in God, I have nothing. Without a heart-knowledge of God (the enlightening of the eyes of my heart by the Holy Spirit that Paul speaks of), I have no head knowledge, my existence means nothing, and I am in utter despair. I might as well be dead without God and His Son. I am nothing other than a Christ follower and a son of the most high God.

Therefore, I must say that I can only write what I write because of God and for no other reason. I just don't know about the question of human choice (I am referring to an earlier post where I boldly and pridefully try to answer this question, while at the same time trying to dismantle Luther's The Bondage of the Will and Calvin's soteriology), but I do know the Gospel, that Jesus Christ came into this world to save sinners (Romans 5:8). I know that I am loved by God and that I love God.

I am in crisis over the question of free will, but I must affirm that I know nothing apart from God. I will post a detailed response to Luther's The Bondage of the Will in a later post when I have more time. I hope and pray that Scripture and the Holy Spirit will be guides as I continue to come to grips with this issue.

No comments: